Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) Services at RGI
Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) is an extremely effective reproductive treatment that addresses several common fertility challenges, including low sperm count.
Parents-to-be who’ve been frustrated with natural conception or certain fertility treatments may have excellent outcomes with ICSI. This procedure is used in combination with in vitro fertilization (IVF).
Naturally, pregnancy begins when a male reproductive cell (sperm) penetrates a female reproductive cell (egg). However, sometimes this process is not possible. This may be because the egg has an outer wall which is hard to penetrate. Or, it might be because the sperm has issues with motility and can’t swim towards the eggs.
In these cases, an ICSI treatment before IVF can help address these issues.
What is Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection?
The goal of ICSI is to transfer a single sperm cell into an egg using a special syringe called a micropipette. This procedure is broken down into the following steps:
- The treatment begins with ovarian induction which encourages the development of mature eggs.
- Transvaginal ultrasound aspiration is performed to harvest the eggs. This is a 20 minute, minimally invasive procedure that only needs mild sedation.
- If there is a male infertility issue due to low sperm motility, a semen sample is collected. This can either be via ejaculation or a minimally invasive surgical sperm retrieval. The surgical option is only considered in circumstances where ejaculation is not possible or if no sperm are present in the ejaculate fluid due to an obstruction or vasectomy.
- The semen sample is placed in a centrifuge. This is done to isolate the healthy sperm from the malformed, non-living sperm and detritus. This step maximizes the chances of successful fertilization.
- After the injection is performed, the egg is monitored for signs of fertilization.
- Once the embryo is established, it is inserted into the uterine cavity.
What are the advantages of ICSI?
ICSI is frequently recommended as a supplement to IVF to maximize the chances of pregnancy. This is especially true in cases where male infertility is recognized or suspected. Fertilization rates for ICSI are extremely high in cases of suboptimal male fertility.
Often, parents-to-be opt for ICSI when fertility challenges cannot be definitively identified or when standard IVF has failed to yield a full-term pregnancy.
Why should I consider ICSI?
If you are experiencing the following reproductive issues, ICSI might be an excellent solution.
- Male infertility
- Vasectomy reversal
- Unexplained infertility
- Previous IVF failures
- Recurrent pregnancy loss
Different fertility treatments are designed to address specific issues with fertility. ICSI is a procedure that is overwhelmingly recommended when sperm quality or quantity is a contributing factor. While it might seem more efficient to opt for ICSI to optimize chances of fertilization, when optimal sperm parameters are present, IVF is equally likely to result in success.
At Reproductive Gynecology & Infertility, we help parents-to-be find treatment options that address their unique circumstances. Our team of caring reproductive specialists offers decades of experience in correcting a variety of fertility issues and helping a diverse population welcome healthy, beautiful babies into their families.
We are proud of our high success rates – so proud that we are willing to offer a 100% IVF guarantee. We have served the Northeast Ohio community for more than 20 years, helping parents achieve successful pregnancies and welcome beautiful babies. To learn more about our services, please call 866-862-5861 today.