The Invocell Fertility Procedure: An Internal Fertilization Option
Invocell is an innovative fertilization and incubation solution that facilitates embryo development inside the woman’s body.
Invocell is an FDA-cleared medical device that offers a more natural embryo incubation with less medication and at a lower cost than IVF. RGI is among the first to offer Invocell in Ohio. We believe Invocell enables greater participation in the fertility process for certain parents-to-be, including same-sex couples. Invocell also provides a new fertility option for religious couples who believe it is important for conception to take place inside the body.
What is Invocell?
The Invocell device is a small capsule that enables both egg fertilization and the early development of the embryo to take place in vivo, meaning inside the body. This is different from in vitro fertilization (IVF), which involves incubation in the lab setting.
How Does Invocell Work?
- Sperm and eggs are combined in the Invocell™ device by an RGI fertility doctor.
- The doctor places the device into the vagina where it is left for 5 days.
- The sperm naturally fertilize the egg inside the body. Fertilization and early embryo development take place in vivo (inside the body) over the next 5 days.
- After 5 days, we remove the device, examine and select the embryos.
- We immediately transfer selected embryos into the uterus for implantation and further development.
- Within 10 days, we’ll know whether or not you’re pregnant
How Does Invocell Compare to IVF and IUI?
If Invocell was put on a scale with IUI and IVF, they would rank as follows:
- IVF is the gold standard fertility treatment
- Invocell has better pregnancy rates than IUI and lower pregnancy rates than IVF
- Invocell is more expensive than IUI and cheaper than IVF (Invocell is roughly half the cost of IVF)
- Invocell requires fewer drugs to stimulate the ovaries, fewer visits, and shorter total time than IVF
Overall, Invocell is a more affordable alternative for couples who can’t afford IVF.
A More Personalized Way to Get Pregnant, Especially for Same-Sex Couples.
Invocell provides a more natural, environmentally-friendly incubation than IVF. It also allows for greater participation in the process, which can be a psychological benefit for parents-to-be. For example, Invocell enables female same-sex partners to be directly involved in creating embryos—one woman can incubate the early embryo, and the other can carry the pregnancy (with either contributing eggs).
A New Infertility Treatment Option for Religious Couples.
For couples of faith struggling with infertility, Invocell can be a welcome alternative to IVF. Invocell involves fertilization in the body, which means that conception occurs in a natural environment. Couples who believe that conception should occur in the body can find this method of treatment more appealing than IVF, which involves fertilization in the laboratory setting.