In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
State-of-the-art in vitro fertilization treatment to communities throughout Northeast Ohio
In vitro fertilization (IVF) is one of our most advanced fertility therapies for helping you become a parent.
Most people won’t require IVF to conceive a child. However, if other treatments haven’t worked — or your doctor feels you should start with IVF — this advanced therapy offers you the best hope of starting or expanding your family.
How Does IVF Work?
What does the IVF process look like?
By combining egg and sperm outside the womb, we use IVF to assist with some of the trickiest aspects of pregnancy: fertilization and implantation. Here are the steps:
- Ovulation induction – We stimulate multiple egg follicles to develop, giving us ample opportunity to conceive a healthy embryo.
- Egg retrieval – After your egg follicles have developed, we’ll extract the mature eggs with a simple, minimally invasive procedure.
- Sperm retrieval – The male partner will provide a sperm sample, and we’ll prepare both egg and sperm for fertilization.
- Fertilization – In our high-tech laboratory, we’ll combine egg and sperm to form multiple embryos.
- Embryo monitoring – Over the next few days, we’ll monitor the growth of the embryos to determine the most suitable candidate(s) for transfer.
- Embryo transfer – Using a small, thin insemination catheter, we’ll transfer the highest quality embryo(s) to the uterus.
Does In Vitro Fertilization Work for Everyone?
Sometimes, there are underlying issues that can reduce the effectiveness of IVF. At RGI, we optimize your chance of success by treating conditions that inhibit IVF and pregnancy.
Determining the right time to begin IVF is an individual process. After reviewing your age, medical history, previous treatment attempts, and many other factors, your fertility doctor will work with you to decide whether it’s time to take the next step. Sometimes, we’ll need to treat or resolve certain conditions that make conception impossible — even with IVF. These conditions include:
- Uterine fibroids
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
In other instances, IVF is the treatment for a fertility-inhibiting condition, such as fallopian tube blockage. Each person’s situation will be different, and your doctor will always consider your needs as an individual.
Explore if IVF is your Best path to parenthood
Can Other Treatments Enhance the Effectiveness of In Vitro Fertilization?
Our advanced IVF techniques offer you an extra edge in your fertility journey.
While standard IVF is a powerful fertility therapy, modern fertility science has produced exciting techniques that take IVF’s capabilities to new heights. If you’ve tried IVF unsuccessfully or suffer from certain conditions that make standard IVF less effective, you may benefit from one of these advanced techniques:
- Preimplantation genetic screening & diagnosis (PGS/PGD) – A helpful option for women who’ve experienced multiple pregnancy loss. PGS is a general screening of embryos before they’re transferred to check for overall genetic normalcy, while PGD is used to test for a specific genetic disease (generally when the parents are carriers).
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) – Using a special syringe, we can inject an individual sperm directly into the egg to facilitate fertilization. This technique is especially useful when a man’s sperm can’t move around well (called “impaired motility”).
- Freezing & storage of eggs & embryos (cryopreservation) – We can preserve fertility for over 10 years! Whether you’re a career-oriented woman, starting cancer treatment, or have extra embryos after IVF, we can store your eggs and embryos until you’re ready to use them.
- Blastocyst culture & transfer – By waiting a few extra days to transfer your embryo, we can improve the chance of it being implanted in the uterus. This technique requires a highly skilled embryologist, which you can always expect at Reproductive Gynecology & Infertility.
- Assisted hatching – To implant in the uterus, an embryo needs to “hatch” out of a thin membrane. Sometimes, they struggle to do this, and it can render IVF unsuccessful. At RGI, we can help the embryo hatch to improve your chance of pregnancy.
What if In Vitro Fertilization Doesn’t Work?
While pregnancy might not be a viable outcome for every patient, there are other options. Donors and gestational carriers make parenthood possible for almost everyone.
If you’re an LGBTQ couple or a single parent-to-be, you’ll need to involve a third party in your IVF process. RGI’s doctors have extensive experience working with donor eggs and sperm, as well as advising patients on pursuing a donation or gestational carrier approach. Your doctor will be happy to answer all your questions at your initial consultation. If you’d like to become an egg donor and help parents in need, please visit our egg donor page to learn how to apply.
Join RGI’s thousands of successful parents.
We’re proud of what we’ve accomplished in our quest to be the best fertility specialists in Ohio. The Society for Assisted Reproductive Technologies (SART) keeps a public record of every member practice’s success rates. Please visit our page on success rates to see our achievements over the past several years.
To schedule an appointment or learn more about how Reproductive Gynecology & Infertility specializes in IVF services in South Cleveland/Independence, Columbus, Akron, Canton, Youngstown and other Ohio communities, call 866-791-0753 today. You can also request an appointment using the form on this page.
We believe that pregnancy should be accessible to almost anyone. For nearly 30 years, we have worked to provide effective family-building strategies for single potential parents and couples.
Our In Vitro Fertilization Guarantee
IVF 100% Guaranteed Success Plan
At RGI, we are dedicated to the success of every potential parent we treat. We are so confident that we can offer you an effective pregnancy solution that we are prepared to provide a 100% success guarantee that you will achieve a healthy, full-term pregnancy and a beautiful baby.
Best for healthy women under 37 with no insurance coverage, this program includes up to three fresh IVF cycles and an unlimited number of frozen embryo transfer cycles until you take home a baby — including the cost of freezing and thawing embryos for transfer. If you don’t have a live birth, we’ll refund 100% of your initial payment.
To see if you qualify for the IVF 100% Guaranteed Success Plan, schedule a consultation with us.
Financial Grant for Those Interested in IVF 100% Guaranteed Success Plan
A healthy pregnancy shouldn’t be a financial burden. To keep fertility treatments accessible to our community, we partner with Samantha’s Gift of Hope to provide an exclusive to RGI financial resource to qualified couples seeking IVF treatment. For those who qualify for our 100% Guaranteed Success Plan, learn more about applying for Samantha’s Gift of Hope grant.